The Phoenix Suns will play their final game of their 5 game home stand tonight against the struggling Charlotte Bobcats at the U.S Airways center. Coming into this game the sun has been bright in Phoenix as the Suns have won a season-high 3 straight games over couple of good teams and the Sacramento Kings…..
The Bobcats however is on the other side of the road. Charlotte has lost 12 straight games after starting off the season strong behind 2nd overall pick Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and the improving sophomore Kemba Walker. Charlotte seemed like their losing ways were behind them but more and more so they’re once again looking like the Bobcats of last season, a Bobcats team that had the worst season in NBA history.
“We are in no position to overlook anyone,” Alvin Gentry said. “I look on the right side and we have 15 losses. So we can’t overlook anyone. Not anyone in this state, including Chapparal High. We can’t afford to overlook anyone.”
Coming into tonight’s game the Suns are the favorite by a 9.0 margin according to ESPN.com. Either team has anyone on the injured list. Fortunately for the Suns, the Bobcats are coming off a loss last night to the Lakers in L.A so they’ll come to town tonight a little gassed.
Keys to the game: Suns
- Play at a blistering pace. This Bobcats team is tired, they haven’t won a game in almost a month, and they are inexperienced. If the Suns play a fast paced game for 48 minutes odds are this Charlotte team will struggle to keep up.
- Don’t sleep on the underdog! The Bobcats may not be a good team but like Gentry said the Suns can’t overlook anyone. The Bobcats has a couple of dangerous offensive weapons on that team, and if those guys get hot the Suns may find themselves in trouble.
- Contain Kemba Walker. The Suns goes as the Nash goes, Nash isn’t here anymore but picture Kemba Walker to be the Steve Nash of Charlotte. Walker has quietly become a very dangerous player in the NBA, Walker in his last 2 games is averaging 30 points and 7 assist and 18.5 points per game on the season; guard up Goran Dragic.
Keys to the game: Bobcats
- Wake up MKG! As in wake up Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. MKG was the 2nd overall pick in the draft this past June and being a huge MKG fan I can tell you for certain that this guy isn’t being used enough on the offensive end. His offensive arsenal may be limited given he’s only 19 years old but Charlotte needs to get Kemba Walker some help and MKG may be the answer.
- Play some defense! The Bobcats are dead last in the league in points allowed per game, Charlotte needs to tighten up the defense one way another, it says something about a team when they have two good defenders like MKG and Walker in their starting line-up and their defense is still this bad.
- Get some ball movement going. The Bobcats are 27th in assists per game, they need to do a better job at sharing the basketball but it begins with the point guard, Kemba Walker.
- Underestimation? When a team is on a roll and winning games it’s only human nature that team would overlook a busted up, wounded, struggling, and underachieving team like the Bobcats. The Suns can’t do that tonight, they need to focus and get this win if they’re serious about salvaging the season(Although I see no point but nonetheless).
Match-up Of The Night!
- Do you even have to ask? It’ll be the battle of the point guards off course! Kemba Walker vs. Goran Dragic. Walker who was a star at UConn came into the NBA last season and struggled. However you know what they say, every season is a new beginning and Walker has proven that saying to be true. Walker is having a great season averaging 18.5 points and 6.1 assist per game, Walker is shooting the ball a lot better and he can drop 30 on you easily! Goran Dragic has had a fine season too but Dragic is yet to have 30 point game this season, will it come tonight against the baby wipe soft defense of the Bobcats?